Friday, April 25, 2008

Chapter 25

I'm really afraid of this. The theme presented in this chapter is so true, and i know entirely where he's going with this. Getting into a pattern, doing the same old same old scares the crap out of me. I never want to get stuck in a rut. I need diversity, I need change. God only knows what it is that causes me to freak out, but I literally cannot sleep sometimes, if I feel too trapped. I even have a problem talking to my mom on the phone on the same day every week. I need some form of malleable schedule.

I need change, more than anything. But beyond that, I also need to be able to create, to change the world around me. I'm not alone, I know. there are other people in the world like me, including several members of my family. My dad was a carpenter. His brothers are contractors. I feel like this is the same as needing change.

But I also know that we need some constants. As I said, I don't like scheduling calls with my mother, but I do still need to be able to talk to her. I need those permanent connections in my life. And it's the difference between those connections and getting stuck in a rut that Screwtape wants us to ignore, and feel oppressed by all of it.

1 comment:

Melissa Purta said...

Hey, I really liked how you opened up. I agree that I need change sometimes as well. People need change to grow and figure out who they are and what is available out there for them. I like your last paragraph about still needing connections and I agree with that. You need to keep the connections, but you can go about it in different ways that expose you to change and other things.